Total Pageviews

Friday, November 9, 2012

Vegan Salsa Queso Dip

Vegan Salsa Queso Dip.....


I love cheese, ok can I say that again... YES I LOVE CHEESE.. Since I've taken dairy out of my diet, I needed to find an alternative. With the holiday's coming up I needed to find a recipe or make one to accommodate our new diets without grossing other family members (you know who you are I don not have to name anyone).

so my thinking was I needed Items to make a Salsa. My favorite Salsa is one with roasted vegetables. So, to the Oven they go.

  (All Organic)Tomatoes,Onion,Garlic, peppers of choice
While the vegetables are roasting, is time to decide the seasonings. My choice are for this first batch: Cumin, Cayenne Pepper, Organic Mixed seasonings, Nutritional Yeast, Sea Salt, Pepper, Organic Garlic Powder, Onion Powder.




You are probably reading that list and going what the Heck is Nutritional Yeast? Its my favorite little Yellow Magic Powder. I buy in 1LB bags in Bulk (Natural Grocers has it in 1LB bags, Wheatsville Food co-op has it in their bulk area (cheaper), Sprouts has it in small shakers to expensive for my budget.)

NUTRITIONAL YEAST:
It is a source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins, and is a complete protein. It is also naturally low in fat and sodium and is free of sugar, dairy, and gluten. Sometimes nutritional yeast is fortified with Vitamin B12.
Nutritional yeast has a strong flavor that is described as nutty, cheesy, or creamy, which makes it popular as an ingredient in cheese substitutes. It is often used by vegans in place of cheese. It can be used in many recipes in place of cheese, such as mashed and fried potatoes, as well as put into scrambled tofu as a substitute for scrambled eggs. Another popular use is as a topping for popcorn. Some movie theaters offer it along with salt or cayenne pepper as a popcorn condiment.

I found a new brand of Organic Tofu to Try at our Local Costco( it comes in a pack of 3). The next batch I make I will try with a Silken Organic Tofu will make the dip a bit more smooth.


I drained the Tofu, Wrapped in a paper towel (about three) and press the water out of it.


Steps for Prepping:
 1) Roast vegetables, or keep raw depends on your taste. (3 tomatoes,3 peppers, medium onion, handful of garlic cloves)

2) Drain Tofu. Press water out by wrapping it in a few paper towels.

3) Add all ingredients to Food Processor (or Blender). Add all seasonings.
 
1 cup Nutritional Yeast add more if you desire more flavor, or deeper yellow color
1tbl spoon of cayanne pepper
1/2 tbl spoon of cumin
1tspoon garlic powder
1tspoon onion powder
1tblspoon organic mixed seasonings
1 tspoon sea salt
1tspoon pepper
  
4) Salt, Pepper, Cayanne is to taste you can do a pinch which is about  1/8 of a teaspoon and go from there (it all depends on your taste buds).

5) Mix until desired consistency. Pour in a Bowl. For our Health I've decided to eliminate all Non BPA plastic containers from our house to Glass Containers. (here is a link about BPA. http://www.hhs.gov/safety/bpa/ )

6) Taste and figure what seasonings you would like more to stand out, you could even add lemon juice to give it a citrus punch.



I wanted something other than chips to dip. I got some carrots peeled them and cut into little straw size sticks. You can cut celery, zucchini, the list of possibilities is just immense.


I do have to say, I did not try this, I'm still fasting but those that did really enjoyed it! I can't wait to make it again and see what I missed out on.

The number one Tip I can give you is to not be afraid to be in the kitchen. Try different things, different flavors. How do you thing new dishes are created? well by crazy people like me who have a little to much time on their hands, and need to entertain themselves.



If you try this pls share what you changed or how you enjoyed it!!













No comments:

Post a Comment